Colin Hagan focuses on commercial litigation matters including business and shareholder disputes. He has substantial experience litigating disputes regarding contractual obligations, fiduciary duties, complex transactions, securities, and a variety of employment matters. Colin has also achieved significant client victories in regulatory matters and administrative appeals.
Before joining SLG, Colin served in the Office of General Counsel at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and as a consultant advising decision makers on environmental and energy policy.
Recently, Colin has helped to achieve several successful client outcomes through negotiated resolutions, litigation, and arbitration. Recent outcomes include overcoming the “manager’s rule” defense to an employment retaliation claim brought under Title VII and securing dismissal for a client at the pleadings stage in federal court in Indiana. Colin also recently played a central role in enforcing a biotechnology company’s right to a $20 million exit fee from a clinical trial sponsor. In addition, he has achieved favorable outcomes for clients in disputes in emerging and highly-regulated industries, including defending a challenge to a critical regulatory license.
Colin regularly represents individual and business clients in the state courts of Massachusetts, Vermont, and California, including in specialized tribunals such as Vermont’s designated environmental court. He also has experience representing clients in New York and Delaware. Colin has also represented clients in federal courts in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, California, Colorado, Maryland, Illinois, and Indiana. Colin’s work involves all stages of litigation, including trial and appeal.
Federal Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- J.D., magna cum laude, Vermont Law School
- B.A., with honors, Furman University
- American Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
Awards, Distinctions, and Certifications
- Associate Articles Editor, Vermont Law Review
- 2011 Switzer Environmental Fellow
- Certification in Reasonable Attorney Fees, National Association of Legal Fee Analysis (NALFA)